Our Favourite Minimalist Kitchen Ideas
A minimalist kitchen offers a clean, serene and practical space for cooking and eating. Renovating your kitchen to embrace minimalist elegance is one of the best ways to increase your kitchen’s appeal to potential home buyers. But enhancing a small kitchen is no easy task, especially if you want to make your kitchen feel more spacious, sophisticated and modern while maintaining its practicality.
If you’re looking for inspiration on small minimalist kitchen design, you’ve come to the right place. Here are our favourite minimalist kitchen ideas to help you create the ultimate modern minimalist small kitchen.
How To Achieve A Small Minimalist Kitchen With Decluttering
First, some decluttering advice.
With a small minimalist kitchen, the first thing you need to decide is how you will streamline your kitchen appliances and accessories to make the most of your limited bench and shelf space.
If you’re hoarding kitchen utensils or appliances that never see the light of day, it’s time to let them go. Consider donating or giving away anything you don’t use often. The big offenders here include:
- Speciality appliances – Keep only versatile kitchen classics that perform multiple functions (for example, a rice cooker is unnecessary if you have a saucepan that can cook rice)
- Utensils – Cutlery that only gets used on rare occasions
- Expired pantry items – You may have unused or expired pantry items loitering in your pantry, taking up space.
As a rule, remove any kitchen items you haven’t used in the last 3 months. You’ll free up lots of space and your new minimalist kitchen will look more beautiful as a result.
Minimalist Kitchen Renovation Ideas
Now, let’s look at ways you can renovate your small kitchen to make it feel more spacious and modern.
Idea #1: Minimalist Kitchen Colour Palette
A subtle neutral theme works best for a minimalist kitchen. In a small kitchen (or any kitchen, for that matter), you can’t go wrong with a classic all-white colour palette. A contemporary white kitchen creates a sense of light and space.
Choose blues and greys to add depth to a clean white base. Alternatively, opt for warm, natural earth tones with natural finishes in timber. For a bolder contemporary look, make a dramatic statement with accents of black or red on your tile splashback.
Idea #2: Minimalist Kitchen Organisation
To keep your minimalist kitchen clutter-free, it’s worth it to invest in ways to keep your kitchen well-organised. This means:
- Minimalist kitchen shelves: Embrace a mix of open shelving and hidden storage. Edit items on display to just a few essential items, and hide anything extra out of sight.
- Minimalist kitchen cabinets: Look for flush-overlay cabinets with hidden pulls, made in modern materials such as stone, wood, Corian, or stainless steel. Keep countertops clutter-free.
- A minimalist kitchen pantry: Consider converting a nook or even your entire small kitchen into a butler’s pantry. Inside your kitchen pantry, create a user-friendly system to make your life easier. Store your dry pantry goods in clear, labelled containers. Organise your shelves into practical categories like a breakfast shelf or baking shelf.
Idea #3: Minimalist Kitchen Sink and Tapware
Sleek tapware and sink products are essential to minimalist kitchen design. A minimalist kitchen sink with a lower-profile micro or bevel edge looks both stylish and timeless. Look for sleek chrome taps to keep the look fresh and contemporary.
Idea #4: Minimalist Kitchen Lighting
Low lighting is a low-maintenance way to give your minimalist kitchen and its countertops a calm, relaxed vibe. Look for simple pendant lighting and hang them over your kitchen cabinets to illuminate the areas you need.
Idea #5: Minimalist Kitchen Floor
If your kitchen is small, a great way to create the illusion of more space is to use pale-coloured floors. Popular options for a minimalist kitchen floor include timber, laminate or vinyl for an inviting, traditional look, or stone tiles or polished concrete for a more modern, industrial look.